I was just standing there waiting the bus. My face basking in the glow of the sun. I light breeze moved my hair. Then I saw someone walking towards me. It was a boy, around my age, maybe about 13 or 14. He asked, "Hey, is this the bus stop?" I guessed he was the new boy everyone had been talking about. Average height, brown hair, brown eyes, fairly pale, totally average.
I smiled and nodded, "Yea, 'sup what's your name?" He shifted his weight to his other foot and said, "My name is the name I hate the most, just call me Flame."
I made a goofy grin, some one had turned up with an exotic nickname as my own, "OK, Flame, how old are you?"
"Thirteen," he replied. Ha! I was right.
I took my hand out of my pocket, pointed down the street and alerted him, "You may want to step back, the bus is coming, it always manages to splatter mud."
Flame stepped back. When the bus came to a stop, after splattering dirt and mud in all directions, the doors opened to a stinky turkey and cheese stench. I saw him wrinkle his nose. "You first," I said trying to get the lasts gasps of fresh air. Shrugging, he stomped right in. On the second step he froze, turned, and frowned. I grinned in reply.
"Hey, not to be mean but every newbie has to face it one way or another." Rolling his eyes he went up and then into the isle. I went in after him. It was terribly warm inside, feel like I was going to be sick, I shoved Flame into the seat he was passing and rushed to the back rows. I peeked over at Flame. He looked fine and undisturbed even though I was losing control. I was the most self structured person in the world and I was sweating it this time. He grinned, and looking like a complete joke said "Hey, everyone has to face it one way or another."
I looked around, the bus was almost empty, the only ones sitting were younger kids in the front two rows and Flame half way trudging down the isle. I stuck my tongue out at his face, continued my way to the back, and plopped down in seat L12. The seat was hard and it smelled like cheap cologne. I gagged, swiftly stood up, and made an effort while I tried to pull down the window. My face had turned into a red hue by the time I succeeded. I could hear the moron stifling laughter up near the front. Grumbling I sat down again and shifted a million times, but didn't find a comfortable position. I opened my orange neon Nike duffel bag, sought out my make-up kit from the disgusting mess, only to find that I had run out of lip-gloss. For me this is was not a big problem, I didn't wear make-up often. But the bus-ride, so far, had flopped my mood into a big, black, stubborn, and uncleanable mess, much like my bag. And on top of that this new Flame kid was getting on my nerves. I chucked the empty gloss tube at the back of his head. I luckily found a spare, feeling like this was the luckiest thing that happened to me today by far, I contently applied, then re-applied my gloss.
The bus pulled to a stop, I looked out the window in time to see my best friend make a face and drag her feet into the bus. Hey, at least I wasn't the only one who was going to enjoy this ride. "Gwen! Gwennie, come over here!," I called out. I saw her glace at Flame and flash a flirty smile at him. I could imagine him smiling back at her. The rest of the ride was long and boring until the last stop. Gwen's crush Adam, stumbled aboard, and much like the others glanced at Gwen and made a face due to the smell. Gwen always had the spotlight, not that it mattered to me. I liked being her shadow, I didn't have to face all the popularity problems as much as she did. She was a dream girl and not to mention the best friend in the world. From her golden locks down to her styled shoes, she looked like she just stepped out of a fashion magazine. Adam smoothly walked over to us and took the only open seat left, the one right across from us. Great, rest of the ride I'd be seeing Gwen and Adam make cow eyes at each other.
I yanked Gwen over to the window side thinking why they just didn't go out. Really, then I wouldn't be stuck in mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey non-sense. They could just talk freely. Gwen being by the window didn't stop them from making faces at each other. I felt like re-assembling Adam's face so Gwen wouldn't look over. I had landed myself, out from the side-lines of an onlooker, straight into the belly of the beast. By the end of the ride, I was sure I'd feel nauseous. And, unfortunately, I was right. Me and my luck.
"This is going to be one horrible day," I muttered to myself while exiting the bus with none other then Flame in front and the two love-birds in back. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!

No comments:
Post a Comment