Author's Note: Here's the basic script for the infomercial on selling literacy. The people in my group please review this and check back for changes.
Scene 1:
Dark room- flashlight turns on and action:
Narrator: It’s been years and centuries that our world has been communicating through these. Hold books and then toss lightly to side But why? Is there a true reason.... The Twilight Zone Knows...
Insert Interview
Scene 2:
Open into baby’s room watching playing with toys- fade out
Open into preschoolers room playing Game Boy- fade out
Open into 3rd grader’s room playing on computer- fade out
Scene 3:
Center screen- teen in living room texting/ playing games on phone
Mother: call from another room Honey! Come do your reading homework!
Boy: BUT MMMMOOMMMM!!!!
Mother: No buts! Let’s go!
Boy: sigh I wish there was no such thing as reading! I HATE IT!!!!
Genie: comes in crashing through closet tripping and with clothes on head DID YOU JUST MAKE A WISH!
Boy: AHHHH!!!! WHO ARE YOU!!! AHHHHH MOOOOOMMMMM HEELLLLPPPP!!!! THERE’S A CREEP IN MY ROOM!!!!!
Mother: Stop making excuses come do your homework!
Genie: Be quiet! Did you make a wish?
Boy: HEYYY wait a second? Are you a a a a a a GENIE!!!! Cool bro! Hey can I have a mountain of ice cream? wait no a bald sheep that eats frogs... NO wait a dinosaur that burps it’s ABCs!!!
Genie: You want me to leave little boy?! SHUT YOUR TRAP!
Boy: Yeesh, sorry
Genie: So you wanted no more reading in this world?
Boy: Yes, that’s right.
Genie: Are you sure?
Boy: 100%
Genie: Hmmmm... let’s first take a look at the world without reading at a glance.
Sparkle out
Scene 4:
Flash open to war, loud sound effects, fights, old technology usage scenes and stop at Nazi book burning scene from Indiana Jones
Boy: WOW! Where are we?
Genie: We are in your world without reading...
Boy: This is pretty cool!
Genie: Cool?! Are you crazy boy? Did you see what they were using as modern technology?!
Boy: Whatchya mean?
Genie: Forget not having books you would have no computers, or games that are electric, you would not even have most plumbing systems in your home- think of it no TOILET!
Boy: Ewww!
Genie: Yup- still think reading is all that bad?
Boy: Wait what does this have to do with READING though?
Genie: Take a look at this...
Insert interview
Boy: Ohh I get it! But since reading is so important we have to stop them from burning books!
Genie: Hmmm I guess you are right... is that a wish?
Boy: Smile Yeah it is.
Genie: Okay then. I call upon the powers on me and make these Nazi book-burners into book-lovers! Okay here we go little boy.
FLASH!!! Figure materializes
Boy: Is that???!!!
Genie: Uhhhh yeah I think so...
Character: STOP! Don’t burn books read them!
Nazis keep burning
Character: STOP!
They stop and listen
Character: Books... they are a gateway to knowledge and knowledge is power. If you want true power rather than burning these books- read them. People who read have higher income and better jobs. They also have a better chance having a family. Trust me- I should know- I use reading everyday. Insert reason how reading is used (depending on character) Don’t believe me? Listen to this.
Insert Interview
Character: center screen See... now you try...
Scene 5:
Focus fuzzy screen onto picture of reading soldiers
Disintegrate out of screen
Scene 6:
Boy: Ughhh my head hurts boy sits up holding head
Mother: WILL YOU COME AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK NOW?!!!???
Boy: I’m coming! Runs into hallways when doorbell rings- opens door
Girl: Hi, I’m here to promote you to read, why don’t you come to our camp this weekend for a preview?
Boy 2: Wow, don’t be so abrupt. Sorry, she’s kinda lost it.
Girl: make face EXCUSE YOU!
Boy 2: Whatever. We are promoting kids to read and we want to invite you a reading camp hosted by the Town Center this weekend. All people that attend are eligible to win their own free personalized Nook! Here’s a flyer. Talk to your parents about it.
Boy: Have I seen you somewhere before?
Girl: Ummm no, I don’t think so. Well hope to see you soon though!
Boy: Umm okay, I think I’ll be attending. Thanks, bye now.
Door closes and we are outside now
Boy 2 and Girl: fist pound
Girl: snaps fingers and poof flash into black
Enter in slogan: Literacy MATTERS! READ!

No comments:
Post a Comment